A pastures and lakes land
Compains are vast lands with basaltic plateaus scattered with lakes, peat bogs and pastures. Landscapes are wonderful and peaceful, a real paradise for hiking lovers.
Beautiful encounters in summer pastures
From May to October, it is the summer pasture; you will meet a lot of cows in flowered meadows: breeds such as Abondance, Aubrac and Salers.
Compains is an agricultural land very active in cattle breeding. The whole of the municipality is in a protected zone where the Saint Nectaire cheese is king.
Come and do Brion’s fair!
The town owns a wonderful heritage with amazing landscapes: a feudal clod and Brion’s hamlet. The fair camp of Brion gathers multiple old houses and welcomes several animal fairs since the 17th century.
Today, fairs are a bit less important but sharing a glass or a meal inside these typical old houses are a real pleasure.
Fairs were from the beginning of May until the end of October, the most frequented is during August 22nd.
In the middle of vast plateaus: lakes and peat bogs
The Montcineyre Lake has a croissant shape and has volcanic origins. It is located between two uplands: Monts Dore and Cézallier.
The Bordes Lake is scattered with islets forming a wonderful peat bog with a sumptuousness heritage in a wonderful conservation status.
A sprinkled and fresh climate, reliefs inherited from volcanism and glacier erosion. This whole has created a lot of peat bogs in Cézallier. Icy temperatures stop all vegetative period during wintertime and can expand only in summer. The surface evaporation provokes a cooling in water depths. The water temperatures can reach 0°C (32°F) during some summer nights; this normal process of plants decomposition can be stunted (peat accumulation principle).
A built heritage to discover
Saint-Georges Church, 13th – 15th century
Listed as Historical Monument, it has a roman nave with two spans and a gothic heart with one span. Built again in 1822, the bell tower has an arrow covered with sweet chestnut shingles, common in this mountain area.
a small chapel built in 1843, facing Montcineyre Lake.