Getting to the Massif du Sancy
International Airport of Clermont-Ferrand/ Aulnat
Regular flights from France with airlines such as Air/France, Hop, Fly Kiss: Ajaccio (summer), Bastia (summer), Figari (summer), Brest, Mulhouse, Lyon, Nice (summer), Paris.
Regular and direct flights or links from all over Europe: Amsterdam, London, Porto, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Norway…
Details: +33 (0)47 362 7100 – www.clermont-aeroport.com
Nearby airports with many destinations
- Lyon St Exupéry Airport
120 direct destinations across France including Clermont-Ferrand, Europe and the rest of the world.
Tel: +33 (0)4 58 42 78 91 – www.lyonaeroports.com
- Limoges International Airport
12 direct destinations in France (Paris Orly and Lyon) and England
Tel: +33 (0)5 55 43 30 30 –www.airportlimoges.com
- Brive Vallée de La Dordogne Airport
4 direct destinations in France and Europe
Tel: +33 (0)5 55 22 40 00 – www.aeroport-brive-vallee-dordogne.com
Clermont-Ferrand is connected to Paris and the other largest French cities with several trains per day.
- Length of Paris-Clermont-Ferrand train journey: approximately 3.5 hours
Departure and arrival station in Paris: Paris Bercy station, connection to the Gare de Lyon by Metro line 14 – Bercy station
- Length of Lyon-Clermont-Ferrand train journey: approximately 2.5 hours
Departure and arrival station in Lyon: Lyon Part-Dieu
From the Clermont-Ferrand train station, bus links are available to the stations of Le Mont-Dore and La Bourboule.
Info and details to SNCF (French train association) : 3635 (0.34€/ VAT/min) from France – uk.voyages-sncf.com
At the crossroads of big motorway connections (A71-A72-A75-A89), you can easily go to the Massif du Sancy and rapidly: the Massif du Sancy is 45 minutes away from Clermont-Ferrand. The Massif du Sancy is just a 2h drive from Limoges, 2h30 from Bourges and Lyon, 3h from Orleans, 3h30 from Bordeaux and Poitiers and 4h from Paris and Montpellier.
Principal motorway connections
- A89: Bordeaux, Brives, Ussel, Clermont-Ferrand. Take exit 25 (Saint-Julien/Massif du Sancy) and then follow La Bourboule/Le Mont-Dore.
- A75: Montpelier, Saint-Flour, Issoire. Take exit 14 (Issoire) and then follow Besse/Saint-Nectaire/Massif du Sancy.
- A72/89: Lyon, Saint-Etienne, Clermont-Ferrand. To go to La Bourboule or Le Mont-Dore, take exit 3 (Aubière) on the A75 and then take the D2089 direction Bordeaux. To join Besse, Murol, Saint-Nectaire and Chambon, follow the A75, exit 6 (Besse/champeix), then follow Besse/Saint-Nectaire.
- A71: Paris, Orleans, Bourges, Clermont-Ferrand. To go to La Bourboule and Le mont-Dore, take the A89 direction Bordeaux exit 25 (Saint-Julien/Massif du Sancy). To come to Besse, Murol, Saint-Nectaire and Chambon, take the A75 exit 6 (Besse/Champeix) and then follow Besse/Saint-Nectaire
- A10: Orleans, Châteauroux, Limoges. Take exit 45, join the RN120 and then take the A89 exit 25 (Saint-Julien/Massif du Sancy). Then follow La Bourboule/Le Mont-Dore.
Make sure that you have snow tires or chains adapted for your vehicle in case of need. Put on your dipped headlights, reduce your speed, keep a safe distance and break gently. Give priority to snowploughs and drive behind them; do not overtake. We wish to remind you that overtaking snow removal vehicles on the road is strictly prohibited.
Traffic conditions: www.puy-de-dome.fr
Car rental services in the Sancy
- Garage du Sancy in Mont-Dore: +33 (0)4 73 65 28 90
- Garage du Centre (ADA) in Mont-Dore: +33 (0)4 73 65 09 47
- Garage Roulet in La Bourboule: +33 (0)4 73 65 56 61
- Garage Mallet in Murat-Le-Quaire: +33 (0)4 73 81 17 64
- Intermarché supermarket in Murat-Le-Quaire: +33 (0)4 73 81 04 66
Car rental agencies in Clermont-Ferrand (station and airport)
- Europcar: +33 (0)4 73 91 18 07 – Website
- Hertz: +33 (0)8 25 84 52 20 – Website
- Sixt: +33 (0)4 73 62 70 48 – Website
- Avis: +33 (0)4 73 91 18 08 – Website
- Ada: +33 (0)4 73 14 05 58 – Website
Super Besse / Paris
The company FlixBus offers during the winter season round trips from Paris and Bourges to Super-Besse, every week-end from Mid-December to Mid-March.
Details: +33 (0)4 73 79 60 29 – www.flixbus.co.uk
Transport in the Sancy
Regular bus services (tickets must be purchased) run throughout the year or seasonally (summer or winter): Clermont-Ferrand/Besse – Super-Besse/Egliseneuve d’Entraigues – Clermont-Ferrand/Chambon/Murol/St Nectaire – La Bourboule/Murat-Le-Quaire/Le Mont-Dore/Le Sancy. Free bus service to Super-Besse and Le Mont-Dore in winter to gain access to the resort slopes.