Full with good products, the Sancy offers a large different type of typical meals. Traditional restaurants and inns are waiting for you to try our specialisms.
It’s on the menu but you don’t know what’s that means ? Let us help you!
- Potée auvergnate: very famous Auvergne hotpot
- Truffade: pancake made with potatoes and tomme fraîche, a Cantal Cheese before the aging process
- Chou farci: stuffed cabbage made from cabbage leaves with a tasty meat stuffing
- Pounti: savoury flan with prunes and pork
- Tarte aux myrtilles ou aux framboises: bilberry tart, raspberry tart
- Truite au bleu: trout with a Bleu d’Auvergne cheese sauce
- Petit salé aux lentilles vertes du Puy: dish made from local green lentils and pieces of pork salted in brine
- Aligot: mashed potatoes with tomme fraîche Cantal cheese
- Pompe aux pommes: puff-pastry apple cake
- Brioche de tomme fraîche: savoury brioche with tomme fraîche Saint-Nectaire cheese
Make your own truffade
This symbolic meal from Auvergne was named after the dialect name of potato: “Trufada”. This typical meal from our mountains is very simple to prepare. The recipe for 4 persons:
- 500g (17oz) of potatoes (bintje)
- 250g (8oz) of Cantal cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Green salad
- Dried ham
- Peel and slice the potatoes
- Blow them up, raw in a casserole dish and add garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add your Cantal cheese at the end of the cooking
- Mix with a wooden spoon and serve immediately, accompanied with a green salad and a slice of ham.